Friday, January 30, 2009

How quickly things change...

After Andrew woke up from his nap he went straight to the living room to play with his toys. While standing in his shopping cart, which he had knocked over, he fell face first onto his toy helicopter(thanks for the gift Mimi!). When I picked him up off of the ground he was of course screaming, and I looked in his mouth to see that it was filling with blood! I have never seen so much blood (which I guess can be a good thing that I haven't been around a lot of injuries before). I could tell that his front tooth had been pushed back in his mouth. I called the doctor and they said to come immediately. So, I through Andrew in the car with no shoes on and blood all over both of us. Andrew screamed the entire way to the doctor's, which is about a 15 minute drive. Every time we would stop at a red light I would try to wipe the blood that was all over his mouth. Once at the doctor's, he checked his mouth and sent us to see a pediatric dentist. As I was getting in the car to leave Bryan showed up. He jumped in and we took off flying to the dentist's office. Andrew had calmed down by then, but you could tell he was still in so much pain. The dentist took an x-ray and said that it looked OK and that there was nothing to do but wait. What we are waiting for is for an abscess to form, or the tooth to become loose (if so then it will have to be pulled), or for it to grow back out and possibly be brown or yellow!! We have to go back in 3 months to have it x-rayed again. Right now the front right tooth is almost parallel with his tongue. By the time we finally made it home, he was back to his old self, eating and dancing around. Hopefully he will sleep well tonight and not be in so much pain;(



Andrew, after we got home...most of the blood has been wiped off.

Daddy throwing Andrew in the air. You can kind of see his teeth in his mouth. A little blurry


Andrew laying on the sofa.

A close up. You can see the teeth pushing a chunk of gums on the roof of his mouth.

5 comments:

  1. Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing!!! Blood and babies is the scariest thing ever! I hope he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless his heart! And yours. It is so scary when they are hurt and there is nothing you can do.

    I hope he feels better soon. Oh, and both of my brother's boys (age 5 and 3) are missing front teeth due to accidents...must be a boy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor Andrew and you. I'm so sorry to hear that... how frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Andrew! I hope he's feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete