Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our Caterpillars

Santa Claus brought Andrew a butterfly garden. I was waiting until after winter to order the caterpillars, but since it looked as though we are going to skip that season I went ahead and ordered them a couple of weeks ago.

The 5 caterpillars were teeny tiny when they arrived by mail but each day they got bigger and bigger. It was really unbelievable to see how quickly they grew. After about 2 weeks they climbed to the top of the container and formed their chrysalis. After that, we left them alone for two more days and then placed them in the butterfly garden and waited for them to hatch.

It probably took another week or so for all of the butterflies to hatch and today when we got home we released them in the backyard! It was such an exciting process! Andrew AND Aubree loved looking at them each day and observing the changes!! We are definitely going to do this again!

Day 1

Look how much they have grown in just 1 week!







Andrew was releasing them and unfortunately my camera is too slow to capture them flying away;( But, I promise you it was very exciting!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks like so much fun, I order Peyton one! He has been talking lately about how caterpillars turn into butterflies, so I think he will enjoy this. Thanks!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete