Right now Bryan and I are in the middle of deciding where to send Andrew to school next year for Pre-K ( and all of elementary!). We went on a few tours but immediately fell in love with one particular school. The only problem ( besides the extremely high tuition!) is that there are only 8 spots available for Pre-K. That's right, EIGHT!!! That is of course BEFORE siblings of students get their spot. So, there are more than likely around 5 spots! We know our chances are slim, but we are doing everything in our power to get him in.
The process is as follows:
1) take a tour of the school
2) send in application with a letter attached stating what our educational goals are for Andrew
3) meet with a psychologist so that she/he can administer a test and send results to school
4) admissions director will observe Andrew at his current school
5) his current teacher will write a letter of recommendation for Andrew
6) attend a "playdate" at the school on a Saturday with other applicants so that teachers can observe Andrew and decide if he is right for the school
My head hurts just thinking about all of that! Anyway, we had Andrew tested at the end of December and we met with the psychologist today to get her feedback.
She basically told us that Andrew was not like your normal 4 year old. He is very intelligent and did well of the test. He scored average ( around 68%) on most parts of the test except for the vocabulary composite which he scored in the superior range ( shocker!). She explained that he should have really scored on everything like he did vocabulary. She went on to explain that he got the easiest of questions wrong and the most difficult of questions right. She said if she were to not have averaged in the top or easier section of the test then his score would have been off the charts. She said he is easily bored with the basics and didn't even try or have any interest to answer those beginning questions. He wanted and needs to be challenged. For that reason, she is taking it upon herself to contact the school and tell them about Andrew since just sending a piece of paper won't do him justice;) She said she speaks with the admissions director frequently, so it would be no problem. In fact, she is heading to the school to test the Pre-K 3 kids next week.
There was a list of about 6-8 doctors that I could have called. I chose her because she was the closest to our house;) I feel like God was really looking out for us since she actually deals with the school and the admissions director!!!
She also went on to say that the school we are applying to would be a great fit for him but a "traditional" catholic school ( our backup) would not benefit him!! Well, great! Now what? She said he needs a school with small class sizes where he has a little more "freedom". She suggested another school to take a look at, so we set up a tour and hopefully we will like it as much as this school!
Although, I am thrilled with what she had to say and what she is doing for Andrew, I feel like we are back to square one, only worse because now it is the end of January!!!! There are so few spots available and now we really don't have a back up anymore! We need to register him somewhere THIS MONTH and we won't find out about our first choice until mid March! I honestly can say that I have NEVER been so stressed out in my entire life!!
Before we met with her, I wanted Andrew to go to the school, but realistically knew that his chances were slim. Now, I feel like he actually has a chance BUT if he doesn't get in we have NO OTHER PLAN. I really don't know how I am going to make it until March!!!!!!
FYI- when it is time to apply to colleges.....no one come near me for those few months;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment